I have given up giving daily reports for a while now as one day can be much like another at Eleusis, but when one looks back there has been a lot of work in the garden and keeping the place in good order, visitors coming and going with wonderful conversations, many changes in the weather and, all in all, a healthy and stimulating life.

My life of retreat is well balanced between writing, study and physical work which is also what I have needed to regain my health. So now I'm starting to get back into adding teaching and travelling to my schedule. I won't be doing as much as in the past, perhaps, but it is good to get about and meet sangha, students and friends and it is a blessing to be able to do so.

So now I have taken the plunge and am just arrived in Korea where I shall be leading a teaching programme. I intend to add reports to the site so if you want to follow along there will be some notes here

The flight over all went smoothly. I had very good Asian vegetarian food en flight (usually the best option!). I quite like the time spent in airports mooching and people watching. One can speculate about the different lives that go past as one sits and drinks a coffee: excited children - how does that poor parent cope? bodies curled up in sleeping bags - how long have they been waiting? some severe or glum faces - what troubles and anxieties are they carrying? couples of all descriptions - what must their lives be like? A big Asian family come and join me at the long table and start taking selfies... all of life is here.

This has been my first flight since my illness and I'm happy to say that all has gone well.

Views: 213

Replies to This Discussion

It is great to read all this and to know that your journey has been nice and easy for you. We are very glad for you:)

Namo Amida Bu

Have good times in Korea!

I will pray all will go fine and you return in good health.

Namo Amida Bu

Vajrapala

Thank you, Vajra.

So glad to hear your travels went smoothly. Thinking of Eleusis, a kind of dharma bubble, always hovering.  I came across an interview article with Beth Jacobs who wrote: The Original Buddhist Psychology: What the Abhidharma tells us about how we think, feel and experience life and was wondering about your take on the Abhidharma. It sounds intriguing. Namo Amida Bu, Jan

Yes, the Abhidharma is the first formulation of Buddhist psychology - an attempt to clarify the system of thinking behind the kinds of interventions made by the Buddha as recorded in the sutras. Since then there have been a great many interpretations and the process goes on.

Do you have writings on the Abhidharma? Or would you recommend on particular one? 

The whole centre section of Zen Therapy is based on Abhidharma.

Yes, I guess that was kind of a dumb question. I have that book as it happens. Time to dive in.

:-)

RSS

Events

ITZI Conference 2019

Subscribe to ITZI Conference Newsletter

* indicates required

Blog Posts

Sagesse féline...

Posted by Tamuly Annette on September 29, 2019 at 12:00 1 Comment

En l'absence de Darmavidya, j'ai - en ma qualité de voisine et d'amie - le privilège de m'occuper (un peu) de Tara, la petite chatte. C'est un bonheur  de la voir me faire la fête chaque fois que je me rends à Eleusis: elle s'étire, se roule sur le dos au soleil ou saute sur mes genoux. J'ignore si elle a profité de l'enseignement du maître des lieux, mais j'ai comme l'impression qu'elle me donne une belle leçon de sagesse: elle…

Continue

WEEP FOR OUR WORLD

Posted by David Brazier on August 20, 2019 at 21:38 2 Comments

At the moment I am feeling very sad for the state of the planet. As I write the great forests are being consumed by fire, both the tropical forest in Brazil and the tundra forest in Russia. The great forests are the lungs of the earth. I myself have lung problems. When there are parts of the lungs that don’t work anymore one can run out of energy. It can strike suddenly. We will probably not do anything serious about climate change or wildlife extinction…

Continue

MY MEDICAL CONDITION

Posted by David Brazier on June 26, 2019 at 18:04 10 Comments

My medical condition continues to be a mystery. It is clear that I do not have any of the big nasty things - brain tumour, cracked skull, stroke, etc - as these have been ruled out by MRI investigation. Nonetheless I continue to have persistent, continuous head pain that varies in intensity and I become exhausted by the least effort so that I am functioning like an invalid incapable of doing very much. There is always a possibility that the whole syndrome is a…

Continue

Grace.

Posted by Dayamay Dunsby on June 2, 2019 at 1:02 4 Comments

“Do we know what it means to be struck by grace? It does not mean that we suddenly believe that God exists, or that Jesus is the saviour, or that the Bible contains the truth. Grace strikes us when we are in great pain and restlessness. It strikes us when we walk through the dark Valley of a meaningless and empty life. It strikes us when we feel that our separation is deeper than usual, because we have violated another life, a life which we loved, or from which we were estranged. It strikes us… Continue

© 2019   Created by David Brazier.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service