Damian's uncle Eddie passed away last week. As soon as I heard the news I asked Selena to say a prayer with me and so I instructed her to put her hands over her heart and I prayed that he be at peace. She didn't mention anything about this for a week, when all of a sudden, out of the blue while she was eating her supper, she began to sob, 'I don't want to get big and die like Uncle Eddie.' And she didn't stop at that, it went on and on for half an hour.

What do you say when a four year old says she doesn't want to die because then she can't be a princess? What do you say when she says that she doesn't want to grow big? How do you console a child when we know that one day we will die?

Eventually, after trying to dispel her fears and make death less scary I sort of gave in and lied. I told her exactly what she wanted to hear and although that has stopped her crying it hasn't stopped her from telling us that she doesn't want to die.

Views: 199

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, how difficult Susthama... It sounds for me that something scared her.... Give Selena a big hug, and tell her that I sent her my love. Maybe you can find a nice book for her about dead? (That sounds odd)

In Holland we have quite a nice one for her age from Max Velthuis  'Kikker en het vogeltje'. About frog and his animal friends who are finding a dead bird; but I suspect this one is not available in English...                    

Are we going to see you all in June? I hope so! 

much love for all of you!

Poor old Selina. Give her a cuddle from me! Namo Amida Bu(   :

I never wanted to grow up either. Namo Amida Bu.

Oh, I think I've seen that book in English at Foyles Elja. Thank you for that suggestion. I think she is ok in general. Maybe more than ok since now it is ok for me to die. I think that is more to do with the fact that she can do what she likes when I am not looking and get away with it.

And some of us never really grow up! :)
Thank you for sharing this piece. I recall getting to four and deciding that I wanted to stay four forever if at all possible. A.A. Milne's argument for six being the ideal age never seemed quite right. At the end of that year my father got sick for the first time and everything changed. Maybe we think we come to terms with death as we get older, that as we meet death we come to accept it and understand it. But now I am living through the last illness of my partner and I am not so sure we ever really do. As a dharma teacher of mine said to me in a letter a couple of months ago "Considering this is actually the permanent condition of life— It is strange that it is strange."

Selena won't remember me but give her a hug for me anyway :-)
Take care Nami Amida Bu

How moving, I can imagine that as a mother it is difficult to know what to say when your 4 years old child says this.

Yes, a good hug can maybe help her...

Big hug for you too!

NAB

Vajrapala

RSS

Events

ITZI Conference 2019

Subscribe to ITZI Conference Newsletter

* indicates required

Blog Posts

Sagesse féline...

Posted by Tamuly Annette on September 29, 2019 at 12:00 1 Comment

En l'absence de Darmavidya, j'ai - en ma qualité de voisine et d'amie - le privilège de m'occuper (un peu) de Tara, la petite chatte. C'est un bonheur  de la voir me faire la fête chaque fois que je me rends à Eleusis: elle s'étire, se roule sur le dos au soleil ou saute sur mes genoux. J'ignore si elle a profité de l'enseignement du maître des lieux, mais j'ai comme l'impression qu'elle me donne une belle leçon de sagesse: elle…

Continue

WEEP FOR OUR WORLD

Posted by David Brazier on August 20, 2019 at 21:38 2 Comments

At the moment I am feeling very sad for the state of the planet. As I write the great forests are being consumed by fire, both the tropical forest in Brazil and the tundra forest in Russia. The great forests are the lungs of the earth. I myself have lung problems. When there are parts of the lungs that don’t work anymore one can run out of energy. It can strike suddenly. We will probably not do anything serious about climate change or wildlife extinction…

Continue

MY MEDICAL CONDITION

Posted by David Brazier on June 26, 2019 at 18:04 10 Comments

My medical condition continues to be a mystery. It is clear that I do not have any of the big nasty things - brain tumour, cracked skull, stroke, etc - as these have been ruled out by MRI investigation. Nonetheless I continue to have persistent, continuous head pain that varies in intensity and I become exhausted by the least effort so that I am functioning like an invalid incapable of doing very much. There is always a possibility that the whole syndrome is a…

Continue

Grace.

Posted by Dayamay Dunsby on June 2, 2019 at 1:02 4 Comments

“Do we know what it means to be struck by grace? It does not mean that we suddenly believe that God exists, or that Jesus is the saviour, or that the Bible contains the truth. Grace strikes us when we are in great pain and restlessness. It strikes us when we walk through the dark Valley of a meaningless and empty life. It strikes us when we feel that our separation is deeper than usual, because we have violated another life, a life which we loved, or from which we were estranged. It strikes us… Continue

© 2019   Created by David Brazier.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service