THURSDAY 3 Mar; Teaching the Animals

The current weather is keeping me inside the house. With the pain in my hip there is not much fun in taking walks. Working outside is only possible for me when I am sitting on my knees on the ground. With the current cold and showers this is not very attractive. So I have been staying inside and I found a job that has been keeping me busy the past few days. I'm still working on it.

Like Francis of Assisi

Somehow there was something in David's writing about Nagarjuna and Kapimala that I decided to translate it into Dutch. Maybe this is because of the Zen bits I read in it. I am very interested in the subject self-power and other-power. I am also a bit fascinated by the fact that these great, wise men taught animals. They were a bit like Francis of Assisi. I would like to read more stories about great sages and their contact with animals.

Struggling with Translation

I have been working on my translation for a couple of days now. I enjoy translating into Dutch rather than the other way around. It is nice to write in a language I am very familiar with. Also, it is an opportunity to learn lots of new things... I can improve my English. Again, I discover parts in the content I find difficult to understand, so I search for more information on the internet about Nagarjuna and during the translation I learn more about the foundation of Mahayana Buddhism.

Strenght and Control

Of course I bump into words that are very difficult to translate. Like the words 'self-power' and 'other-power'. (Ji- Riki and Ta-Riki) I find translations from other Dutch Buddhist writers, but often I do not feel very contented with them. In English 'power' has several meanings like 'capacity' 'strength' 'authority and influence' 'force' 'ability' and so on. In Dutch we use different words for each of these and we can't catch the whole meaning in one word. When I want to translate 'self-power' into Dutch I have to make a choice and then I will lose a bit of the meaning of the word. In English it will sound like 'self-strength' and 'other-strength' (zelf kracht en ander kracht) or 'self-control' and 'other-control' (zelf macht en ander macht) neither of which quite does it right.

I think everybody in Netherlands understands the English words quite well, so I decided not to fall into 'self-power' my self and try to make a better translation of these words in Dutch. I will use the English terms in my Dutch translation. So in a couple of days I hope to share the Dutch translation of the story of Nagarjuna with the Dutch speaking members of the site.

Eaten by a tiger

I googled a picture about Nagarjuna teaching the animals, for this Daily. Instead of a picture of Nagarjuna I found a picture of the Buddha between tigers. I show David the picture and he says to me

“That is the picture of Buddha being eaten by the tiger”

'What???”, I said.

“Yes, it is a Jataka story, it is about a previous life of Buddha.” David told me that every eastern Buddhist knows the Jataka stories, but a lot of western Buddhist have less interest in the stories because they don't believe in previous live.

“The Buddha is eaten by a tiger?”

“Yes in his previous life, the Buddha is eaten by a tiger. He saved the tiger by letting her eat him, so she could feed her young cups”.

Wow I am immediately interested. Another source of stories and things to write about. Somehow David keeps contaminating me with a wonderful passion for reading, study and writing... How will I do all this – it takes me hours! (with translating) And I have so many things I want to read, study and write...

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That would be great! Thank you

And, about the film. for me it is a piece of art, it is poetry, and expresses this perfect communion with nature. The music, as well as the images and the few words said  are a perfect channel to take me to a bigger space deep inside.

I think you can watch it online if you feel like .http://ffilms.org/ashes-and-snow-2005/ 

Elja Stoel said:

Hi Nati, no I don't know the film 'Ashes and Snow', can you tell me more about it? When if find more interesting stories about this theme I will share it on the site!

Nati said:

I would like you could share with us the discoveries you get about this theme. It also attracks my attention. I have always considered animals as teachers in some way or another. I would like to know more about these stories as well.

This reminds me of the communion between humans and animals that is so beautifully showed in the film “Ashes and Snow”. Have you watched it? It Is very inspiring…

• Thank you Jeff for this big smile to start the day!
    Jeff Hunter said:

9108757688?profile=original

• :-) 

• 9108757688?profile=original

• Hi Nati, no I don't know the film 'Ashes and Snow', can you tell me more about it? When if find more interesting stories about this theme I will share it on the site!

Nati said:

I would like you could share with us the discoveries you get about this theme. It also attracks my attention. I have always considered animals as teachers in some way or another. I would like to know more about these stories as well.

This reminds me of the communion between humans and animals that is so beautifully showed in the film “Ashes and Snow”. Have you watched it? It Is very inspiring…

• I would like you could share with us the discoveries you get about this theme. It also attracks my attention. I have always considered animals as teachers in some way or another. I would like to know more about these stories as well.

I am sorry to hear the difficulties your hip is causing you. I wish next days are better for you

This reply was deleted.