ELEVENSIES

Take a thin slice of rich fruit cake, squeeze on to it the juice of half a lemon - or as much as necessary to make the whole moist. Add fromage blanc (called fromage frais in UK). Eat in small mouthfuls with a tea spoon. Delicious. Goes very well with Brazilian coffee.

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sounds good!

• David Brazier said:

:-) When I was poorer than I am now, I used to buy up Christmas puddings in the week after Christmas when it was sold off cheap in the supermarkets. British style Christmas pudding is mostly dried fruit and will actually last quite a long time so you can go on eating it unseasonably. Nowadays I just eat it at Christmas, but regular fruit cake is nice anytime.

fruit cake in the past would also keep for a long time. In fact it usually took a yea to properly make. I have a recipe for more traditional old style fruitcake. What with the rum it soaked in and the obscene amount of sugar and syrup about the only thing that will grow would be alcoholic. Where fruitcake got its bad rap was from not being aged and not being properly soaked and moist. I still liked it a. D miss the days when people actually gave it as gifts and I could collect all the rejected tins filled with fruitcake. I need or should try Christmas pudding.
  • :-) When I was poorer than I am now, I used to buy up Christmas puddings in the week after Christmas when it was sold off cheap in the supermarkets. British style Christmas pudding is mostly dried fruit and will actually last quite a long time so you can go on eating it unseasonably. Nowadays I just eat it at Christmas, but regular fruit cake is nice anytime.

• Fruit cake, the holiday food item many USA folks detest and make fun of. I on the other hand live the stuff. There is a company in Georgia (US) that makes what I believe to be the best. When it is available during the start of Christmas time I buy as much as I can usually around 10lbs. Then I try to make it last as long as possible. I am so attached to this fruitcake I usually can not make it last beyond January.
  • Oh, my God!!..Excellent proposal! I am afraid I am going to spend this windy afternoon in the kitchen:)

• You too. Eat cake. :-)

• Dear David....it seems delicious!!!!!! thanks.
    You have always a lot of creative and beautiful ideas.
    Have a good Sunday!!!
    Angela

This reply was deleted.