WHAT IS ESSENTIAL?

This is a transcript of the podcast of 23rd April 2020 with Italian translation below

We are all living under lockdown and sharing stories about what it’s like.  I’m here in France where the lockdown is pretty strict. 

When it was first announced we were told we should make no journeys that are not absolutely essential, so about the only shops that are open are supermarkets, pharmacies… that’s about it, and you are expected to go to the nearest one, not travel further than you absolutely have to.

So around that time I went to the supermarket and I spent about three times as much as I would normally spend on a once a week trip to the supermarket. Three weeks after that, I’d used up most of that stuff and I was planning to go the supermarket again… and I sat down, thought about it, and I thought, “Well, actually it isn’t absolutely necessary. I haven’t actually run out of anything essential and I could go on for a few more days”.

So, I didn’t go to supermarket at that point. That was Thursday last week and this is Thursday this week, so I am a week on from that and I’m doing the same exercise and having the same result. I was starting to think I would go to the supermarket today, but, actually, when I look at it, I have got enough to survive for several more days.

Being in this lockdown situation makes you think about what is essential: what do you actually need? In the lockdown many of us are putting aside things that we would normally consider part of everyday life, and of course we very apt to use this phrase: “I need this…” or “I need that…” but when we look at it carefully: most of the things we think we need we don’t actually need. We desire them, they’ll be handy, they’d be useful, but we don’t actually “need” them.

This is a consideration that’s quite relevant to the Buddhist way of life.  The Buddha started an order of monks - we call them "monks", but actually "friars" might be a better name because they were not in monasteries, they were wondering about - they were called bhikkhus, the word "bhikkhu" means a person who has a share, who has a lot, you might say, so the expectation of the bhikkhu would be that the bhikkhu was content with his lot: he was content with what he’d got. Actually, they lived the most minimal life. The bhikkhu had three robes, a water strainer, a bowl… that was about it. One or two other things, possibly. They didn’t have anything more than they could carry.  They wandered from place to place, and they owned nothing more than they could carry.

This emphasis upon “great simplicity” and upon trusting in providence - trusting that somebody would put something in your bowl - was the foundation of the bhikkhu life. Not many people live that way these days. Even Theravāda bhikkhus don’t really live that way, they have a more guaranteed food supply laid on, and they tend to live in houses that have been provided, and so on.  But still, the leaning toward “great simplicity” is something that is well worth reflecting on, and in this time of lockdown, this time when we are restricted, this is a very good time to make this reflection: to consider: “what do we really need?”, “what do we need it for?” Needs never stand completely alone: a need is always “for” something.

So I suggest that we all use this time to reflect on this basic question: “what do we really need. What is really essential?”  It’s a great aid to the spiritual life.  It’s something I am doing and I hope you’ll be doing it too.

Thank you very much.

Namo Amida Bu

If you would like to receive podcasts regularly, please message me a request.  Each podcast is about 5 minutes long and explains some aspect of Buddhism, often with some reference to the present situation or current affairs. - David Brazier

Traduzione Italiana:

Noi tutti stiamo vivendo sotto il lockdown e condividendo le nostre storie su di esso. Io mi trovo in Francia dove il lockdown è piuttosto rigido.

Quando fu annunciato la prima volta ci è stato detto che nessuno avrebbe dovuto compiere spostamenti che non fossero assolutamente necessari, quindi gli unici negozi rimasti aperti sono unicamente i supermercati e le farmacie… ci si aspetta che tu vada in quelli più vicini alla tua abitazione per non andare più lontano di quanto sia strettamente necessario.

Perciò in quei primi giorni sono andato al supermercato e ho speso tre volte tanto quello che spendevo normalmente, andandoci una volta alla settimana.

Tre settimane dopo avevo esaurito la maggior parte delle cose acquistate e stavo pianificando di tornare al supermercato… mi sono seduto, ci ho pensato su e mi sono detto: “beh, in realtà non è così assolutamente necessario, non ho davvero terminato tutto e posso andare avanti ancora per qualche giorno”.

Quindi, non sono andato al supermercato quel giorno; si trattava di giovedì della scorsa settimana... oggi è giovedì di questa settimana, perciò è passata una settimana da quel momento e adesso sto eseguendo lo stesso esercizio ottenendo lo stesso risultato. Pensavo di andare oggi al supermercato ma in realtà se guardo attentamente ho abbastanza provviste per sopravvivere ancora per molti giorni.

Essere in questa situazione di lockdown ti spinge a pensare a cosa sia essenziale, a ciò di cui hai davvero bisogno. Nel lockdown molti di noi stanno facendo scorta di quei beni che normalmente sono considerati parte della vita quotidiana e certamente siamo soliti usare frasi come: “ho bisogno di questo” o “ho bisogno di quello”, ma quando osserviamo attentamente: la maggiorparte delle cose di cui pensiamo di aver bisogno non sono davvero necessarie. Noi le desideriamo: saranno maneggevoli, saranno utili? ma non ne abbiamo davvero “bisogno”.

Questa è una considerazione alquanto rilevante per lo stile di vita Buddista: il Buddha ha creato un ordine di monaci -vengono chiamati “monaci” ma sarebbe più appropriato chiamarli “frati” perché essi non vivevano nei monasteri - erano itineranti - essi erano chiamati bhikkhu , il termine “bhikkhu” indica un individuo che ha da condividere, chi ha ciò che è stato dato; potremmo dire, l’aspirazione del bhikkhu perciò era quella di essere soddisfatto con ciò che aveva, con ciò che possedeva. In realtà essi avevano lo stile di vita più minimale: il bhikkhu possedeva tre corde, un colino per l’acqua, una ciotola… tutto qui. Una o due altre cose, se era possibile. Vagavano di luogo in luogo e non avevano niente di più di quello che essi potevano portare con sé.

Questa enfasi sulla “grande semplicità” e sulla fiducia nella provvidenza  - fiducia sul fatto che qualcuno metterà qualcosa nel tuo piatto -  era il fondamento della vita del bhikkhu. Al giorno d’oggi non molte persone vivono in questo modo. Nemmeno i Theravāda bhikkhu vivono davvero così, essi hanno più provviste garantite, generalmente vivono in case che gli vengono fornite e così via. Ma ancora, la propensione verso la “grande semplicità”, è qualcosa su cui è bene ragionare e, questo periodo di lockdown nel quale siamo alle strette, è un ottimo periodo per fare questa riflessione e riconsiderare: “di cosa abbiamo davvero bisogno?” e anche “per che cosa ne abbiamo bisogno?”, i bisogni non stanno mai completamente da soli, un bisogno è sempre “per” qualcos’altro.

Quindi io consiglio a noi tutti di usare questo tempo per riflettere su questa questione di base : “di cosa abbiamo davvero bisogno. Cosa è davvero essenziale?”, questo è un grosso aiuto per la vita spirituale, è qualcosa che io sto facendo e spero che lo farete anche voi.

Grazie mille.

Namo Amida Bu

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree that the ongoing reflection on the question "What do I really need, what is essential? - And what can I go without?" is a great help for spiritual life and in general for orientation in a world so much dominated by demands to buy and consume wherever you can.

Due to the lockdowns everywhere, we had at least a short break from the destructive habit of over-shopping in the malls. Meanwhile, online-shopping and online-consumption has risen. I wonder if we have continued the same pattern and just changed the way we carry it out.

• Nice

• Attaching a children's story... The great realisation. It's rather special.
    https://www.facebook.com/100028141624821/posts/606729573608425/?d=n...
This reply was deleted.