GLOBAL SANGHA NEWSLETTER 5 : 27th November 2020

Organising a retreat like this is a big job.  Some people drop out, others drop in.  Fortunately, we are getting more drop in than drop out, so it bodes well for the event.  Do have a look at the latest timetable, attached, and make sure what you are listed for is fine.  If you are not listed and would like to offer a workshop, talk or other presentation, do get in touch and we'll see if we can find you a slot. If you need more time for your item let us know and we'll see whether the timetable can be jiggled a bit.  Right now it is looking pretty good.

BEING A MEMBER OF GLOBAL SANGHA

All people attending the retreat will be offered free membership of Global Sangha, so, unless you let us know or unsubscribe later, you will continue to receive Global Sangha Newsletters after the retreat.  There will probably be an interval immediately after for the end of year season - we all need a break. Mailing will recommence fully in January.

============

FROM THE BAHIYA SUTTA

The 8 Worldly Conditions : 

gain & loss, fame & disgrace, praise & blame, pleasure & pain.

These things of humans are impermanent, not perpetual, they are changing things, the wise know this. and reflect on the changing nature of things, not intoxicated with the agreeable, nor averse with the disagreeable.

---

ON OPINIONS

Also attached (in two parts) is an article called "On Opinions" from the Journal of the Zen Mission Society of November 1973.  I remember those days well.  We were all new Zen trainees at that time.  It was challenging but wonderful.  I learnt so much.

============

SOME MORE SAMPLES OF EVENTS AT THE RETREAT

COLLOQIUM ON BUDDHIST PSYCHOLOGY, ITZI & IBAP
The IBAP Team
16.30 Thursday 10th December

Amida Shu has always had a keen interest in Buddhist psychology and its applications, especially in the mental health field.  ITZI was established to further study and practice of Buddhist psychology.  ITZI is the International Zen Therapy Institute (originally Instituto Terapia Zen internationale).  It is now a registered charity in UK.  It is concerned with all applications of Buddhist psychology.  ITZI has three main divisions.

a/ Amida Academy delivers on line training courses 
b/ ITZI Conference sponsors a biennial international conference and other related events.  ITZI Conference is a co-sponsor of this Bodhi Retreat
c/ IBAP is the institute for Buddhist Analysis and Psychotherapy and is the division of ITZI concerned with Buddhist based psychotherapy and counselling practice and supervision.

In the colloqium members of the IBAP group will give information on these activities and discuss the application of Buddhist psychology to Global Sangha in a changed and changing world.

REFLECTIONS ON SOLITUDE
Maya Choi
21.00 Thursday  10th December

I became a country girl in the Andean Mountains in Ecuador, practicing living in ‘true freedom.’ My teachers are nature, my cats and my inner self. How the time flies;I have lived in the same spot on my hilltop for so many years now. Oftentimes upon hearing my

experiences, which I think are ordinary, my friends say they inspire them. So it is my hope that the stories I share with you may somehow benefit you and others too.  In particular, Some times I have done extended periods of retreat and it may be useful to you to hear about this experience, what one may expect, what one may go through, and what I learnt from it.  I can also tell you about my ordionary-extraordinary life here and the satisfactions and challenges it brings.

MEDITATION AROUND THE WORLD 
Some myths and facts
Miguel Farias
16.00 Wednesday 9th December

Meditation is supposed to help us become more compassionate, to heal various mental health problems in adults and children, to work for the mind like going to the gym works for the body, to very rarely have side effects, and to be a recipe for a happy life. In this talk, I will unpack these beliefs, trace their development, and tease out what is fact from fiction about the effects of meditation.

============

TAKING REFUGE

My list of persons wishing to take/renew refuge (with or without the 10 precepts) currently includes:
Kimiko Nita, Carol Corey, Ming Ming Wang, Carol English, Stuart Young, Conrad Young, Chris E-S, Angela Romani, Tineke Osterloh, Rao Kommagiri, & Diane Cadman

If you want to be added to this list or if you are wrongly listed, please let me know.  Being part of the refuge ceremony does not interfere with being part of other ceremonies.  If person's present at the time want to opt in to the ceremony on the day, that is also possible, but it is useful to give notice because then we can send you instructions on preparation and this will make the occasion more deeply meaningful.

============

THIS WEEKEND

Saturday 

- 11.00 (Rome)
ZEN THERAPY FIRST PRINCIPLES
This is the laast meeting of this series and so is an open forum for questions and answers.

- 14.00 (Rome)
REFUGE GROUP
Separately notified

- 20.30 (Rome)
ZEN THERAPY WEBINAR "Acceptance & Challenge"
This is the last webinar of this year.

===

Sunday
- 11.00 (Rome)

AMIDA WORLD SANGHA INTEREST GROUP

- 20.00 (Rome)
FRIENDSHIP GROUP

============

Thank you
Namo Amida Bu
Dharmavidya
David

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –