WHAT DO YOU EAT AT BREAKFAST?

I almost always have a cereal of some kind. I particularly like porridge - that’s what you call "oatmeal" if you are American - and have it about every third day. There are a lot of opinions about porridge. The original Scottish variety is made entirely with water and salt, but many people nowadays add other things. I put in salt, no sweetener, but then use half water, half milk and sometimes add cinnamon and/or dried fruit. This morning it was dried cranberries and sultanas. The longer you cook it the smoother it gets. As it is pretty filling all I needed afterwards was a big juicy orange. I generally eat at least one orange a day. There is always a bowl of them on my kitchen table and they go down well any time, especially when you come in thirsty from work in the afternoon.

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I often have breakfast with porridge...I knew it during a meditation retreat! I like it and I put in some fresh and dried fruits depending on the season and honey. Porridge seems to be a very healthy food and oat is very good for intestines!

Thank you Sujatin for the suggestion.

So...happy breakfast!

• Oh, I'll try that - soaking overnight. This evening I've been mastering the art of making pancakes.

• Do you soak it overnight, first? That makes it extra creamy. My Highland father would only have it with salt, the purist. The rest of the family, more indulgent, would drizzle golden syrup from a spoon, making patterns.

This reply was deleted.