We are all wearing masks these days to protect us and others from the transmission of the virus. In this podcast I would like to talk about psychological masks.

We can, perhaps, agree that we often put on a psychological mask in order to cope with the demands of this or that social situation. If one holds the idea that a person has a true self, then one might quickly come to the conclusion that it would be an ideal for people to drop their masks and appear exactly ‘as they truly are’. Psychotherapy and spiritual practice might then be seen as pathways to arriving at such complete self-disclosure, true self-expression, and so on.

But before jumping to such a conclusion one might pause to consider some observations. Sometimes, wearing a mask can be experienced as liberating. Wearing masks enabled Juliet to meet Romeo, when it would not otherwise have been permissible. Sometimes wearing a mask enables one to perform a task.

Even though I live alone, my sense of myself is not the same when I’m gardening or sawing up fire wood, as it is when I’m writing or making a podcast.

Buddhism is notable for questioning whether the idea of a “true self” can possibly have any validity. The Buddhist ideal is not that one be self-concerned.

In chapter 3 of his famous work Shantideva says:

May I be a guard for those who are protectorless;

May I be a guide for those who journey on the road;

For those who wish to cross the water, may I be a boat or raft or bridge;

May I be an island for those who yearn for land,

A lamp for those who long for light.

For all who need a resting place, may I be a bed;

For those who need a servant, may I be their slave.

One could read this as saying: “May I put on whatever mask is necessary to get the job done” - and here the job is saving all sentient beings.

When we wear a mask in these corona virus times, the purpose is more for the sake of others than for oneself. The primary function of the mask is to stop the virus that may be in oneself, spreading to others. This is surely a good metaphor for the primary Buddhist virtue of self-restraint.

We all carry the viruses of greed, of hate, of delusion, and our first task is to put on a spiritual mask to limit the spread. This mask is often enough simple restraint.

At the beginning of the Dhammapada, Buddha recommends non-greed, non-hate, non-delusion. In other words: restraint. Creating a barrier that impedes the spread of one’s own infection may be the all important first step.

When we say Innumerable are sentient beings. I vow to save them all, we should perhaps clarify by saying I vow to save them all from myself. I vow to save them from the contamination that I have heretofore been spreading far and wide.

The Path begins with contrition.

Is it ever safe to take off one’s mask? Perhaps one just needs a different mask for different situations. In this time of corona virus, we are learning to wear a mask and keep a certain distance in order to protect others. This lesson can well extend to our spiritual life as well.

There are many kinds of masks, each has its value and use. Each one filters a different ill, a different virus, if you like. Many practices of Buddhism can be considered to be different masks that filter different varieties of delusion. Some filter out pride, some complacency, some animosity, some cynicism, some resentment. According to the infection one may need an appropriate mask.

For those unfortunate enough to be afflicted by all of these ills, all at the same time, the only recourse, the only mask that works is the nembutsu. This is the mask that filters all the different spiritual viruses, all at the same time.

Namo Amida Bu
Thank you very much.

Dharmavidya
David

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.