Today I went to the hospital in Cleremont Ferrand. Adam drove me there and back. It was nice to have a chauffeur. We stopped quite a number of times. I found the journey tiring but manageable. The journey back was greatly helped by some strong coffee. Along the way I was getting texts from Elja who has had four hospital appointments today preparatory for her operation in Netherlands. She has had quite a successful day and was pleased with the outcome. Perhaps she will add something.

When Adam and I arrived at the hospital we had to search for the Cardiology Department. When we found it the reception desk denied all knowledge of my existance and said they had no appointment for me. Then we realised that perhaps it was not Cardiology that we needed but Surgical Cardiology. We were directed along more confusing corridors. At one point we were standing between two signs that both said to Surgical Cardiology that were pointing in opposite directions. It was a good job we had got there early. Eventually we found Surgical Cardiology. I joined a queue. When I got to the desk the woman there said, that, no, I was not on their list. By now I was rather at a loss. She said to wait a minute and she consulted the main hospital computer. Ah, you need to be in Vascular Surgical Cardiology - third floor. OK. So off we went again. Another desk. Yes, I was on the list!! However, they were not used to having a patient who is not registered on the French Social Security system so there was a long rigmarole while they worked out what to do with me. Eventually it seemed to be settled. We went to the waiting room almost exactly on time for my appointment, having actually arrived one hour early.

The doctor examined me and read all the information including looking at my scan results. We discussed my condition. The upshot is that it is not dangerous at this point but could become so in the future so I will need to have an ultrascan every now and then to check whether it is stable or getting worse. If it gets worse then I will need surgery but he assured me that the operation is not as major as it used to be as they now have better ways of doing it. I can have the periodic checks done at Montlucon which is not so far away. He said that he thought that my problem is probably mostly due to a congenital weakness.

So, mission accomplished. The main point was, I think, that my local doctor wanted to get me onto the books of the teaching hospital in Cleremont so that if I do need surgery in the future it will be done there where they have the best doctors and the best facilities.

By the time we got home I was pretty tired. Adam heated up yesterday's leftovers and we had a rather tasty meal.

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good to learn that all went well, that your doctor is ensuring you get the best care possible and that your condition is stable without the need for surgery. Namo Quan Shi Yin Bosat

• Yes, i think the main purpose was to get me on the books. Nothing urgent at the moment, but something to be careful about. My current joke is that have about twenty ailments at the moment, but no need to worry, because only two of them are life-threatening.

• Interesting to read this and what you had to go through to get to the proper room!  Sounds like good news and I imagine somewhat of a relief.

• Glad all went well. Hope you are resting today! Brought the thuderstorms back with me to London! Seems that overall we had better weather in Eleusis though maybe more rain. Namo amida Bu

• David , great you survived Adams driving let alone anything else, ha ha joking Adam I'm sure you were the perfect companion . Good news then in a way. I'm not partial to hospital dramas. Keep taking the tablets as they say . Hope Elja gets sorted quickly and will be on the recovery road too. Take care of yrself . Lots love X josephine
    Namo amida bu X
  • Good news! This is a great relief. Now things are going well, and if you needed, everything would be prepared to assist and  heal you by the best means. I am glad for you.

I suppose today is time to rest and take it easy. I also think is a great luck to have Adam with you. Both of you are doing a great job “at home and away”.

Also my best wishes for you Elja :)

• Thank you for the update. Relieved to hear that all went well and that the worst was finding the right department. The information the doctors gave you sounds exactly right. If it is congenital, monitoring should keep you safe. Now you have a baseline and will be fairly straightforward to recognize if and when surgical intervention is needed.

Gratitude to Adam for taking care of you :-). Gratitude for you being delivered back home safely. Good to know things are progressing well for Elja.

Namo Amida Bu. <3
  • Thank you Sujatin. It is good to know that you are there too. We need each other. Namo Amida Bu.

• Well, this all sounds pretty positive in the circumstances - I'm glad that you are 'in the system', on the books of an excellent hospital and will be monitored regularly. I'm also relieved that the journey was not as draining as anticipated. Need to keep you around as long as possible! Namo Amida Bu. Much love

This reply was deleted.