TUESDAY 9 AUG; My pilgrimage

TUESDAY 9 Aug; My Pilgrimage

Eleven days ago I arrived at Eleusis, after 15 days of cycling 1100 kilometers on my bike. A lot happened on my journey from Den Bosch to Eleusis. My original plan had been to ride on my bike from Den Bosch in Netherlands to Santiago de Compostela in Spain, but from day one I started to have doubts about this. I doubt if I can do another 1800 kilometers to Santiago. I have doubts about my reasons for wanting to do this. I have doubts about the length of time I will be away from home.

I hardly enjoyed my time on the bike because I had made such a to tight cycling schedule for myself. I felt too much presure. So I arrived at Eleusis very tired and full of emotions.

My stay at Eleusis is helping me to listen to what my feelings want to tell me without too much interfering of my thoughts. Thanks to being a member of the community of Eleusis some new things are awakening in me for which I already feel gratitude.

It is lovely to see how Tara the kitten is skipping around so playfully and innocently, to see the beautiful flowers, to see how the vegetabels from the garden transform into soups and chutneys and to discover oregano growing in the forest.

The morning services here at Eleusis are also completely new for me. I practice Zen Buddhism in Holland (in the sangha of Zen Centrum Den Bosch) but I am not familair with Pureland Buddhism. This makes it a bit harder for me to be completely involved in the chanting and the ceremony, nevertheless afterwards I felt a lot of movement inside me without understanding what was happening.

During the day I help with all kind of activities. Sometimes I help in the kitchen, preparing meals or making chutneys, sometimes I work in the forest, or in the garden. During one of my activities in the woods I was working alone for a couple of hours, clearing the path to the retreat hut. During this job I felt and decided that I don't want to go on with my cycle journey to Santiago de Compostela. My time here at Eleusis has more significance for me than going to Santiago. My pilgrimage is taking me further anyway, whether I go to Santiago or not.

Finally I have experienced that when you are able to let go of control there are lots of new possiblilities and so many more enjoyable moments. This feels quite special for me. I am even thinking now about the possiblilityofo riding further on my bike, just to enjoy the French countryside, without any other purpose nor having a destination in mind.

Life is beautiful

Namo Amida Bu

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looking forward to seeing you soon :-)

• Hi,

I will be back tomorrow (saturday)it was to hard for me:-(
    My friend is also coming tomorrow, we leave sunday morning.
    Hopefully this is okay?
    Namo Amida Bu
  • Wonderful. Keep us posted on your progress. Namo amida Bu !!

Yvette Peters said:

I just arrived on a camping at a river in Châteumeillant:-)
    I already missing everybody at Eleusis.
    Hope to see you soon some time!
    Namo Amida Bu

• I just arrived on a camping at a river in Châteumeillant:-)
    I already missing everybody at Eleusis.
    Hope to see you soon some time!
    Namo Amida Bu

Jan Wizinowich said:

Yvette, I so enjoyed your time here. We just sent you on your way, tears and hugs and already you are missed. Enjoy the freedom of flight on your bike.

• Hello yvette , nice to hear from
    You. Shame I'm not there in person to stroke Tara but thanks for assistance.
    You are welcome to visit me. I'm in uk at the moment . Keep me posted . Love to David and Elja and Adam .
    Love Josephine X
  • Namo Amida Bu:-)

Adam Dunsby said:
    Thank you Yvette. It's a pleasure being here with you. Namo Amida Bu( :

• Hi Josepnine,

Tara liked your stroke;-)
    Thanks for your nice reaction.
    David thinks I should vist you on my way to Santiago:-)
    I almost gatherd a lot of stops on my way with nice people, maybe I'm actually going to finish in Santiago!
    Namo Amida Bu

josephine jones said:

Ahhh thats a nice story . That's what happens at Eleusis , one never wants to leave . I have wanted to trek the Santiago Compostella but never made it so far. Maybe i have no need as what i have in front of me is enough. Cycling the french countryside tho that would be special , I hope you do it. thank you for that lovely story and stroke Tara for me please. 

Life is beautiful indeed x 

• Ahhh thats a nice story . That's what happens at Eleusis , one never wants to leave . I have wanted to trek the Santiago Compostella but never made it so far. Maybe i have no need as what i have in front of me is enough. Cycling the french countryside tho that would be special , I hope you do it. thank you for that lovely story and stroke Tara for me please. 

Life is beautiful indeed x 

This reply was deleted.