I’m going to talk about a Buddhist altar or shrine; and I’m thinking about the kind that you might set up in your own house, either as a permanent fixture on a table or a shelf, or that you might set up for a particular, special occasion or ceremony.

The altar represents the Buddha in the Pureland visiting your house. So, there are three types of items associated with the shrine:

• those from the other side
  • those from this side, and
  • those representing the practice: the implements that we use in a ceremony or in practice.

These three types of items correspond with the three elements of Amida Shu practice:

• the Trikaya Buddha,
  • the bombu individual (oneself), and
  • the practice: the nembutsu that bridges the two, that reaches from the Buddha to me and from me to the Buddha.

In the centre of the shrine there is a representation of the Buddha. This can be a statue or a picture, ideally of Amitabha Buddha, Amida Buddha, it could be a nembutsu scroll, or ideally it could be an actual relic – a Buddha relic or a relic of a Buddhist saint. In this case we would call the altar a shrine.

You can also have representations of the Dharma and Sangha. So, perhaps, a scripture book and a picture of one’s teacher or another spiritual ancestor. Since it represents the Pureland around the Buddha, you can also add any beautiful item to represent the splendour of sukhāvatī

So, the altar can be very simple, a plain shelf with a single figure, or it could be very elaborate – as elaborate as you like. Use your imagination!

Then, the items from this side, which we call offerings: These are the things you would give to an honoured visitor who is arriving. So, typically, there is a food-item (often fruit), at least two bowls of water (water for washing and water for drinking) or it could be some other drink; flowers, perfume (usually incense) and light (usually candles). The incense and candles have a special quality, because they are offerings but they also represent the Dharma: the light of the Dharma and the fragrance of the Dharma that spreads and permeates everywhere. You can also put something that represents music (often we give a guest music).

Close to the shrine or on the shrine you can put the things that are needed for a ceremony or for practice. This might include a bell, a scripture book (perhaps your ceremony book / ceremony text), your wagessa or robe, and whatever else is needed for the particular ceremony on the particular day. These items can be on the shrine or the can be on a small table close at hand.

So, these are the three types of items that make up the Buddhist altar and the symbolism that they represent. The actual rūpas representing the Buddha coming into this space, surrounded by the Pureland. The offerings that we make welcoming, and the items that we need for the ceremony. In this way the shrine represents our whole nembutsu practice.

Namo Amida Bu
Thank you very much

Dharmavidya
David

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Tineke to transcript !!! 

Love this so much.

Namo Amida Bu

This reply was deleted.