SUNDAY 29 may: Going to the Chapel

Yesterday some of the volunteers in the hospital asked me if I wanted to join the Catholic morning service. I did doubt for a moment. To be honest I can be quite uncomfortable in a church service - it depends upon the way the service is lead - but I said, yes, with some reservation. I even asked the volunteer if I could leave the service if I wanted too..., not very kind of me....

So this morning a volunteer collected me with a wheel chair and I thought to myself, “Well, of course, I am not going to leave during the service. I shall have an outing anyway.”

They moved me from floor 8 to the ground floor. At the ground floor, after quite a walk, we enter a space that seems to be a really modern chapel. I see a glimpse of a beautiful lead window, but it is hidden behind a screen.

Later on the internet I discover how beautiful the whole chapel is. I definitely have to return to the chapel to see the whole building. Look at the picture I found on the internet:

Familiar face

When I arrive, there are already several lines of people in wheel chairs. The volunteer is finds a spot for me in the front row near someone who is lying in a hospital bed. I think we are about 30 people.

I am impressed by the atmosphere in the chapel. (and I haven't seen the best part yet).

A man goes to sit behind the piano and starts to play very nicely. After a while a woman stands next to him. She is the soloist and starts to sing a beautiful modern hymn from Huub Oosterhuis, a famous Dutch composer of church music. I know the song very well from the time I was very active as a decon in church.

When the priest enters the chapel I am a bit surprised. I know his face. I even have the feeling that I have recently spoken with him, but I can't remember why. I puzzle for a while, but then I let it go.

Five Loaves of bread and two fishes

I am familiar with the Protestant church, so I don't know a lot about the Catholic rituals. The priest starts this service by telling us that today is a sacrament day. He explains that the meaning of sacraments day is about noticing the scared in common things. He immediately gets my attention. He talks about water, that it is so easy to see water as something very common, but that water has so many aspects. For a moment I am thinking of the labyrinth I walked with the women of the monastery. The priest says that when you are opening yourself for the little things in life and pay attention to them you notice the sacred in everything.

I am quite surprised by the whole service. The music is beautiful, and the priest leads the whole ceremony with his heart involved. I notice that he is hardly looking at his paper during his sermon and he preaches vividly about the wonder of the five loaves and two fishes.

From the way the whole ceremony develops, including the music and the poems, I experience that he is practising what he is preaching. He must have prepared the whole liturgy of this morning and his sermon very carefully.

Synchronicity

It moved me very much. It is a long time since I have been touched by a church service. I am also touched by the fact that this hospital has this beautiful chapel and such an inspiring morning service. It is easy to let the tears (the water...) flow after a couple of days in hospital. It feel a gift to be present at this service.

At the end of the service I start to puzzle again where I know this priest from... One of the volunteers asked me if I want to drink some coffee after the service. During the coffee I tell the priest that I think I have met him recently and he tells me that he has the same experience.

Then in a minute we know. About two weeks ago I went to a workshop in the monastery. It was a workshop partly about the method of Byron Katie. I was invited by Miriam, 'the priestess' of the labyrinth (see blog Fire and Water on the Dharma path). The Priest, his name is Rob, was also a participant in this workshop. We had even talked together about my coming operation! It was such a different experience to meet each other here in the hospital in this morning service that it took a while before we realised where we had met. Rob is a retired priest and only gives a service in the hospital four times a year. What a strange and nice coincidence.(or synchronicity).

We talked for quite a while about the morning service, our experience with the church and our connections with Buddhism. So I had a beautiful morning.

Loving family

I returned to my hospital bed with lots of positive energy. The rest of the day I spent walking with my crutches, taking short naps, doing some physiotherapy exercises, a lot of surfing on the internet, and plenty of talking with my roommate whom I have been sharing with since Friday. She has a new knee and today we have started strolling around on crutches together in the long corridor. She is 72 and lives in the small village I lived in before I went to Eleusis, but I had never seen her before. She lost her husband three years ago through cancer. During visiting hours she always has lots of family to see her. Today I said to her that whole the village seems to visit her in hospital. She is surrounded by daughters, sister, sons (in law too) and grand children. She seems to live in a small well functioning and loving 'countryside tribe.'

Traffic Jam in the Corridor

Tonight we went for an outing in the corridor again. We were a bit noisy. We were joking and laughing. Soon more clicking crutches arrived in the corridor, probably attracted by the sounds and searching for some distraction. “New hip, or new knee?” is the opening sentence on meeting. A strange kind of traffic jam appeared in the corridor.

Count the Days

I have almost no pain now. The main problem is that my left leg is very, very, very stiff. There is still not a lot of movement in it. I can move my leg a bit forward, but I can't lift it. It is all part of the process the nurses and doctors say to reassure me. My muscles are seriously bruised and my leg is swollen with fluid and blood that makes it stiff.

On Tuesday I will move to Utrecht to a rehab hotel. On Monday I really hope to know the date when I will be allowed to return to Eleusis and David. I am looking forward to knowing the date. I want to count the days.

You need to be a member of David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis) to add comments!

Join David Brazier at La Ville au Roi (Eleusis)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thank you dear Josephine, I hope to meet you this summer again, maybe at Eleusis? lots of love

josephine jones said:

Aww Elja such a wonder description of your experience. I hope the positive energy you felt carries on and helps you heal quickly. Seems so long ago when we where sitting in Eleusis kitchen together and you were making your wonderful creations. Take care of your lovely self and soon you will be back where you want to be ..

Much love 

josephine 

• Aww Elja such a wonder description of your experience. I hope the positive energy you felt carries on and helps you heal quickly. Seems so long ago when we where sitting in Eleusis kitchen together and you were making your wonderful creations. Take care of your lovely self and soon you will be back where you want to be ..

Much love 

josephine 

• What a beautiful experience and so nice you shared it with us!

I wish you a good recovery and good times in the new recovery-hospital.

Namo Amida Bu

• Thank you Elja, it sounds a beautiful and heartwarming experience. I hope your healing is going well. I guess the physio and walking with crutches is hard work. much love modgala

This reply was deleted.